A strong password is a key to secure your information and sometimes the information of others or your place of employment. Creating a secure password is vital to staying safe while online, and just as important as creating a strong password, you must maintain that password. No password will keep you secure if others can guess it or steal it.
Tips for creating a secure password:
- Use a combination of capital letters, lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Make passwords at least 8 characters long.
- Don’t use words that can be found in the dictionary.
- Use different passwords for each site.
- Don’t use your name or names associated with you such as friends, family, pets, or the name of a business.
How to keep a password safe after creating it:
- Never write down your password.
- Never share your password with someone else.
- Never let anyone see you enter your passwords.
- Always log out of your device when not using it.
- Change your password periodically.
- Never enter passwords on public computers or unsecured Wi-Fi.